History of the Club
The Club was formed in 1958 by a group of keen amateur photographers. Its first Chairman was David Ross the owner of 'David Ross Photographic Studios' then situated in Bridge Road East Molesey. The early meetings were held in the school previously known as Ray Road School, West Molesey. Membership stood at around 25-30 when in 1959.
In 1967 the Club held its first exhibition in the new Molesey library.
In 1968 the Club appointed its first President - David Ross and Tom Davie became Chairman. The club had by now moved its meeting place to St. Paul's Hut in Vine Road and membership had declined a little. It was at this time that Molesey joined the Surrey Photographic Federation so that they could meet and compete against other member clubs. This helped members to see a much wider range of photography and hopefully help to raise the overall standard within the Club.
Finding enough prints for a competition was not always easy. Many older club members remember the night when, after a selection committee meeting ended, one member was sent home to blackout his bathroom and make another print to make up the panel for the following evening's Federation Knock-out competition against another club. Molesey got through to the second round that year! The Club's early success was largely due to the new Chairman's help and encouragement. The membership began to increase again and the Club seemed to be establishing itself when the meeting place was declared unsafe by the local council and a new venue had to be found. The Club had a short stay in the Guides hall in Hansler Grove followed by a few seasons in the room above the St John's Ambulance station (old fire station) in Walton Road before using St Mary's Church Hall for many years. We currently meet in The East Molesey Methodist Church, Manor Road - see the "Contact Us" page for details.